Information on the lift
An elevator is a type of vertical transport equipment that efficiently moves people or goods between floors of a building, vessel, or other structure. (Wikipedia,2015)
The key parts of an elevator are:
- One or more cars that rise up and down.
- Counterweights that balance the cars.
- An electric motor that hoists the cars up and down, including a braking system.
- A system of strong metal cables and pulleys running between the cars and the motors.
- Various safety systems to protect the passengers if a cable breaks.
The lift allowed cities to expand vertically as well as horizontally. That's why this invention can rightly be described as one of the most important machines of all time.