Contact Form

 

Discussions

4. Discussion


4.1 Analysis of results


Our lift is a smart lift that allows users to give inputs to the lift using mobile devices.We were unable to demonstrate that as we could not get the Annikken Andee to work in time.

We were,however, able to complete the construction of the following lift unit,lift shaft and wiring of the wires in the lift unit and lift shaft to the breadboard and Arduino.We were also able to program the motor to respond to the buttons,but the motor did not respond when the buttons were pressed.We suspect that the error is either with the programming or the motor.


When the buttons failed to make the motor respond,we tried to use the Annikken Andee to try to make the motor work.The motor did not move,but it vibrated when we pressed the button in an iPhone.


4.2 Key findings


The LED buttons lit up as they were supplied with 5v from the Arduino.We wired the LED buttons using a breadboard.


When we pressed the pushbuttons,the motor did not move or respond.


4.3 Explanation of key findings


We thought that the reason the motor was not working was because there was not enough voltage being supplied to the motor.When we plugged the wires for the main power source of the motor into the breadboard where the power wires of the pushbuttons were also attached,the LEDs in the pushbuttons switched off.We thought that the voltage was not sufficient to power the motor.We solved the problem by powering the buttons via the 3.3v AC to DC adapter while we powered the stepper motor via the Arduino with an external cable to provide more voltage.We also placed the stepper motor shield on the Arduino.The motor was able to rotate.


The reason why the LED pushbuttons lit up was because we connected the wires for the negative and positive ports of the pushbuttons correctly into the breadboard and they were soldered correctly.


The reason why the motor did not respond to the pushbuttons was because we had not connected the stepper driver to the Arduino yet.The stepper motor was not able to function without the stepper driver.We also think that there could be an error in the code.


4.4 Evaluation of engineering goals

Our engineering goals are


(a) build the lift shaft


(b) build the lift unit


(c) wire the motor

(d)program the motor using Arduino


We were able to construct the lift shaft and lift unit.We were unable to meet the first and second engineering goals of building the lift shaft and the lift unit.

We used both a stepper motor shield and Darlington Array to wire the motor,and we were able to make it rotate.The motor was able to rotate,but it was unable to hoist the lift unit up because it was too heavy.Although it did not achieve its main purpose of hoisting the lift unit up and down in the lift shaft,we managed to wire the motor and the motor is able to work independently.Thus,we have met the third engineering goal.


We also used Arduino to program the motor,so we have achieved the final engineering goal.The Annikken Andee is an Arduino shield,and we managed to finish the programming for the Annikken Andee.However,the motor did not move when the buttons in the Annikken Andee Mobile Application was pressed.


4.5 Areas for improvement


We could also have lightened the weight of the lift unit so as to allow the motor to be able to pull the lift unit up the lift shaft.

We can add LED displays to The Smart Lift to tell the users which floor the lift unit is currently at.



Total comment

Author

Kaliraj santoshraj

0   comments

Cancel Reply